OVER 5 MILLION LBS OF PESTICIDES
ARE USED PER YEAR IN VENTURA COUNTY.
THAT'S THE HIGHEST PER ACRE IN THE ENTIRE STATE.
WE HAVE THE MOST KIDS EXPOSED TO THE WORST CHEMICALS OF ANY COUNTY IN CALIFORNIA.
SIGN THE PETITION
IMMEDIATE RESOLUTIONS FOR THE TOWNSHIP OF OJAI
I. A moratorium on the use of all insecticides and herbicides on all land and facilities owned by the City of Ojai including: the parks, playgrounds city buildings, roads, right of ways, and all other city-owned infrastructure. (This moratorium shall include a voluntary 1,000 foot “no spray buffer zone” on all sides of these public spaces).
II. A mandatory 72-hour public notice system whereby growers within the City of Ojai are required to provide public notice via electronic means (technology TBA) 72 hours prior to spraying of location of spraying, what will be sprayed and in what quantity.
III. A committee will be established to determine locations for no less than 5 public air monitoring stations around the township of Ojai.
IV. A Healthy Soils Working Group shall be established with significant farmer representation to create guidelines and establish funding resources for growers who wish to transition to soil-health.
FOR THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA WE REQUIRE:
I. An exception to the preemptive clause in California Food and Agriculture Code Section 11501.1 which excludes California cities from authority to regulate pesticides due to Ojai’s “unique mix of unusual topographical features, altitude, inversion layer and air quality conditions.”
OF PESTICIDES ARE USED IN OJAI EACH YEAR.
There is funding available to test a limited number of children
for these chemicals.
THE HIGHLIGTED AREAS ARE USING TOXIC
SYNTHETIC PESTICIDES + HERBICIDES
The Ojai Valley is in a heavy spraying cycle to combat the Asian Citrus Psyllid disease. This is in addition to the regular conventional spraying of toxic synthetic chemicals.
Properties with a yellow border are orchards that are and will be using these toxic chemicals ongoingly.
WHAT CAN I DO?
(This is by no means complete - just a start).
1. Register as a beekeeper - it’s the only way to get notified of spraying near you. CLICK HERE
2. Get Involved in Nature Based Climate Solutions - Let's regenerate the Ojai Valley through healthy soil practices. Increasing Soil Organic Matter can increase water storage capacity and drawdown carbon. Through carbon fixing, composting, ruminants and supporting farmers to make this transition, we can regenerate Ojai.
3. Take photos and video of any spraying you see, please use caution as these are toxic chemicals and you do not want to get close to them. Take a screenshot of your phone’s weather app at that time to get the wind speed and direction,and then notify us here:
4. If you see overspray or drift or irresponsible pesticide activity call Ventura County Ag commissioner and register a complaint - you can register anyonymously (805) 388-4222.
5. If you suspect that your home and/or children are breathing overspray or drift, stay inside, close windows and doors and turn on your home hvac (make sure to install HEPA filters available at the hardware store). Ideally turn on air purifiers.
6. We will set up a private community opt-in text alert system soon stay tuned.
7. Work with us to get your kids tested, especially if they go to school on the east end. Sign up above.
8. Talk to your farmer neighbors and tell them to go organic at the very least.
9. Talk to your schools and request that you be notified at least 72 hours in advance of any pesticides or herbicides sprayed nearby, and also what the chemicals are and how much was sprayed.
10. Eat local regenerative foods that were grown without toxic synthetic pesticides and herbicides. Support the organic farmers making this transition.
I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It’s easy. Just click “Edit Text” or double click me to add your own content and make changes to the font. Feel free to drag and drop me anywhere you like on your page. I’m a great place for you to tell a story and let your users know a little more about you.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT!
Get the Latest News & Updates